2018 RFA Timeline:
- November 16, 2017 – Application Deadline
- February 12, 2018 – Award Notification
- April 1, 2018 – Start Date for Funded Projects
The Western Extension Risk Management Education Center (Western Center), in conjunction with the Northeast, North Central and Southern Centers, announce a funding opportunity for projects that help farm and ranch families succeed through targeted risk management strategies. The maximum amount of requested funding shall not exceed $50,000 for Education Projects and $2,000 for Exploratory Projects.
2018 Western Center Request For Applications (RFA)
Online Application System and Registration: The online application system includes a user-based access within the Results Verification System (RVS). To register your proposal in the Results Verification System (RVS), click here. Select “Register” and enter information to create a new account. You will receive an email registration confirmation. If you do not receive the confirmation email within 15 minutes, check your spam folder. Click on the link in the email to complete your registration.
Login: After registration, or if you already have an existing account, log in to the Results Verification System (RVS) using your email address and password which will take you to “My Projects”. To begin a new Proposal, select “Start New Application” and then “Western ERME” under All Available Funding. Instructions for each section of the application may be accessed by clicking on the orange tab labeled “Instructions” located in the upper right portion of each page of the application. Multiple users may be given access to your project by entering their email address. This is explained in detail in the “Project People” section of the Application Tutorial.
Budget Detail & Indirect Cost Limitation – IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- Requested funding amount must be the same in the budget, budget narrative and on the ERME Cover Sheet (SF 424).
- Make certain that the person(s) in your organization with budget expertise carefully review all aspects of your budget detail for consistency; in particular that the amounts listed in each section of the budget match what is listed in the correlating sections of the budget narrative.
- If you intend to include sub awards or consultant services as part of your funding request, the required documents must be submitted as part of the proposal submission. Follow the instructions as provided in Appendix A of the RFA for uploading these documents into the online application system.
Indirect costs on awards including subawards made by USDA, NIFA funding under this program may not exceed the lesser of the institution’s official negotiated indirect cost rate or the equivalent of 30% of the total Federal funds awarded.
The 30% total Federal funds limitation is equivalent to 42.857% of the total direct costs of an award. If your organization does not have a federally negotiated indirect cost rate, an F&A rate of 10% Modified Total Direct Cost (MTDC) will be allowed.
Any questions regarding the indirect cost portion may be directed to Esther Tate, Fiscal Officer/Management Analyst at 509-335-6885.
Project Director Training
If you are a successful applicant – you will be required to attend a webinar hosted by the Western Center within 4-6 weeks of the award start date of April 1, 2018. Therefore, it will not be necessary to include any funds in your project budget to attend an in-person training. All Project Directors (PDs) will be required to participate – including PD’s who are past ERME award recipients.
If you are unsure if you can meet the eligibility criteria for an organization as it relates to the requirements for Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards – specifically 2 CFR, Part 200 (RFA – Appendix A), please do not hesitate to call us.
There are proposal resources which can help you develop and write a successful proposal. You are encouraged to use these tutorials and the “Introduction to Risk Management” which can lead you through the development and identification of a stronger set of participant results/outcomes, as well as to strengthen your program delivery, should your proposal be funded.
- 2018 Western Center Request For Applications (RFA)
- ERME Proposal Resources (Note** Depending on your browser setting, it may be necessary to “refresh” the page or press F5 to view all of the current Proposal Resources.)
- 2018 Grant Application Webinar (pdf)-Thursday October 12, 2017 at 10:00 AM PDT
- Introduction to Risk Management
- RME for Native American Farmers and Ranchers (pdf)
- RME for Hispanic Farmers and Ranchers (pdf)