Extension Risk Management Education Competitive Grants Program
The Western Extension Risk Management Education Center (Western Center), in conjunction with the Northeast, North Central and Southern Centers, announces a funding opportunity beginning September 15, 2014. The Maximum amount of requested federal funding shall not exceed $50,000.
How To Apply?
2015 Request for Applications (RFA): Download the 2015 RFA and read carefully. The RFA is the binding document on application instructions. It is very important that you read and follow all of the instructions in the RFA.
Online Application System and Registration: The online application system includes a user-based access within the Results Verification System (RVS). To register your proposal in the Results Verification System (RVS), click here. Select “Register” and enter information to create a new account. You will receive an email registration confirmation. If you do not receive the confirmation email within 15 minutes, check your spam folder. Click on the link in the email to complete your registration.
Login: After registration, or if you already have an existing account, log in to the Results Verification System (RVS) using your email address and password which will take you to “My Projects”. To begin a new Proposal, select “Start New Application” and then “Western ERME” under All Available Funding. Instructions for each section of the application may be accessed by clicking on the orange tab labeled “Instructions” located in the upper right portion of each page of the application. Multiple users may be given access to your project by entering their email address. This is explained in detail in the “Project People” section of the Application Tutorial.
Regional Risk Management Priorities: This year, the Western Center expects to consider proposals in two categories:
- 2015 Exploratory Projects for planning, development, piloting efforts and/or a smaller producer education program with awards up to $2000 and;
- 2015 Education Projects with awards up to $50,000. (See RFA Section VI. Award Administration Information)
The Center is interested in encouraging proposals which are exploratory in nature to support planning, development, or piloting efforts to initiate new ideas, and/or smaller producer education programs that lead to future proposals addressing a range of farmer/rancher risk management education needs.
Exploratory Project Timeline for Successful Applicants:
- Project Timeline – April 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016
- Final Report due 2 weeks past end date.
- One invoice submission at end of project.
- Invoices will be processed directly through the Western Center.
Indirect Cost Limitation – IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Indirect costs on awards including subawards made by USDA, NIFA funding under this program may not exceed the lesser of the institution’s official negotiated indirect cost rate or the equivalent of 30% of the total Federal funds awarded.
The 30% total Federal funds limitation is equivalent to 42.857% of the total direct costs of an award.
Any questions regarding the indirect cost portion may be directed to Esther Tate, Fiscal Officer/Management Analyst at 509-335-6885.
There are proposal resources which can help you develop and write a successful proposal. You are encouraged to use these tutorials and the “Introduction to Risk Management” which can lead you through the development and identification of a stronger set of participant results/outcomes, as well as to strengthen your program delivery, should your proposal be funded.
An applicant webinar was conducted on Thursday October 2nd at 9:00AM PDT. Click here to view: 2015 Grant Application Webinar
- a) 2015 Western Center Request for Applications (RFA)
- b) Applicant Webinar Recording URL:
- c) ERME Proposal Resources (Note** Depending on your browser setting, it may be necessary to “refresh” the page or press F5 to view all of the current Proposal Resources.)
- d) RME for Native American Farmers and Ranchers
- e) Introduction to Risk Management
2015 RFA Timeline:
- November 17, 2014 – Application Deadline (Note** in previous years, this program required a pre-proposal. Pre-Proposals have been omitted from the application process.)
- February 16, 2015 – Award Notification
- April 1, 2015 – Start Date for Funded Projects
***The Center Staff is available to field questions arising from the application process***
Until you “submit” your Proposal through the online system, you may return to the application website as many times as you wish and continue entering or editing your application.You will need the project number and password each time to access your application. Your Proposal must be submitted electronically through the online application system by Monday at 5 PM PST, November 17, 2014.